Unexpected Evening Projects

I did not plan to spend this evening unclogging our outside drain pipe yet again. But afternoon thunderstorms have a way of throwing a wrench in the works. Stacey came in the back door, as it poured outside, declaring that we had a flooding problem. Thankfully the two flooding drains were just because they got clogged by grass clippings. Unfortunately the drain pipe was not so simple.

If you remember way back, the overflowing back drain spout was the very first project we did on the house. I got a tennis ball out of it at that point and thought I had it fixed. Nope. I had to clean it out again at some point, but thought that with the new roof removing the asphalt gravel that was clogging it I would be done. Nope.

This time I actually looked down it with a flashlight and saw that there was a two foot piece of wood and another tennis ball.

Untitled

How exactly did this get down there?

Untitled

The wood I could reach my arm in to extract, but the tennis ball was a little too far. So I made a spike on a stick:

Untitled

It took several tries and an upgrading of screw size, but I got it in the end. Maybe this will really be the end of the drain problems now!

Untitled

In other news, from our to-do list the other weekend:

  • Plant tomatoes and basil
  • Repaint the basement windows outside
  • Paint and install basement shoe moulding
  • Refinish the picnic table
  • Install trim around the attic ladder
  • Plug a hole in the floor by the stairs

Here's a picture of that last one:

Untitled

An electrician at one point accidentally put a hole through the floorboards at the bottom of the stairs. Thankfully the 3/4" bit exactly matched a 3/4 inch oak dowel, so the patch was easy. Just needs a bit of polyurethane now.

Untitled