We thought we would put together a small list of things that we've learned.
- There is such a thing as good enough, even if you're a perfectionist.
- Start with the upstairs rooms that people don't see as much. Then by the time you get to the downstairs, you'll know what you're doing.
- Use semigloss paint in wet areas (no one tells you this)
- Buy painters tape in bulk, and get the good brand. You'll go through way more of it than you know.
- You can do it yourself, but don't if it makes you uncomfortable.
- Do your research well beforehand!
- Use protective gear (suit, respirator, gloves) and seal off the room.
- Soak the tiles before trying to remove, it makes them come out easier.
- Keep everything wet all the time to prevent fibers from becoming airborn.
- Try to get the tiles out in one piece, though this may not be possible.
- Wash everything out well after.
- Check out BEAN-e-doo mastic remover.