For some reason DC's codes and regulations are quite hard to find using a Google Search. Here are some quick links that we found helpful.
- DC City Regulations (search is on the right side)
- DC property search
- DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) permit viewer
- DC Department of Transportation (DDOT) permit viewer
If you're looking for a quick bit of information on DC Fencing Regulations, here's what I've found out so far:
- Any fence on public space needs a permit. What part of your lot is technically public space vs. your property varies, but typically your property runs right up to the edge on sides facing neighbors or alleys. On sides facing streets, it is typically about 15 feet from the curb.
- For fences on public space that are 42" in height or less, a basic permit will suffice. For taller fences, you'll need to get an exception. This is not easy to do.